(subject to change without notice)
Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2018
3:00-5:00pm Exhibitors set up
Wednesday, Jan. 10, 2018
7:00 am–8:00 am Exhibitors Setup
7:00am-5:00pm Registration open
7:00am-7:45am Friends of the Chair meet with Chair & Extension
8:00 am-5:00 pm 8 Hr Technician Training Course (Room 102) Larry Franke
10:15 am-5:00 pm ACE Training (Room 108) (Bob Davis, & Mike Merchant)
(1 Pest; 1 Termite; 1 Gen. IPM; 1 Gen-other)
7:45a-8:00a Welcome, Overview, and Friends of the Chair
David Ragsdale, Ed Vargo, Bill Clark (re: Scholarship) Mr. Dale Burnett.
Clayton Wright Memorial Endowed Scholarship
Bill & Casey Clark Endowed Scholarship
Robert Jenkins, Sr. Memorial Endowed Scholarship
Clay Stroope Memorial Endowed Scholarship
Don E. and Joanne R. Stroope Memorial Endowed Scholarship
Alice Jean & George E. Novy Memorial Endowed Scholarship
C.R. Butler & W.J. Patrick Memorial Endowed Scholarship
Gib Witten Memorial Endowed Scholarship
Dr. Harry N. Howell, Jr. Endowed Scholarship
Dr. Roger W. Meola Memorial Endowed Scholarship
Dr. Roger E. Gold Endowed Scholarship
8:00-9:00 a Service & Safety: A Winning Combination–Janis Reed (Gen. Safety)
9:00-10:00a Highlights and Headlines of 2017 -how they affect our industry –Danielle Dean Wallace (Gen. Laws & Regs)
10:00-10:15a Break in exhibit area (beverages provided)
10:15-5:00pm ACE Training- Bob Davis, Mike Merchant (Room 108)
10:15-11:15p Current Issues In General Pest Control & IPM (Main Room) -Jerome Goddard (Gen IPM)
11:15-12:15p Managing Weeds in Texas Turfgrass –Mark Matocha (Weed)
(Main Room) (also counts an AG Gen. Pest Features ceu)
12:15-1:00p Lunch – Fried Catfish (Buppy’s)
1:00-2:00p Hot Topics –Ed Vargo & Robert Puckett (Pest) (Main Room) This session will present novel findings from urban entomology research that has been published within the past year. It is our hope that the information presented will inform our audience of emerging trends in urban pest management and provide insight that can assist their decision making process in professional settings.
2:00-3:00p Bats and Birds in Urban Settings- Laura Johnson (Gen IPM) (Main Room)
3:00-3:15p Exhibitors’ Forum (Puckett)
3:15-3:30p Break in Exhibitor area (beverages provided)
3:30-4:30p Know Thy Enemy: How the Biology of Termites Inform Management Practices –Ed Vargo (Termite)
4:30-6:00p Tour of the Rollins Urban & Structural Entomology Facility —(Pest)
This will be led by staff, Dr. Ed Vargo, Dr. Robert Puckett, Phillip Shults, and graduate students.
Park in Lot 124
Directions to the Rollins Urban Facility (from the Brazos Center)
Physical location is 2556 F&B Rd. (Bldg.1804)
No vans will be available, so we ask you to PLEASE carpool!
- From the Brazos Center parking lot, turn left onto FM 1179/Briarcrest Drive.
- Go through the first traffic light, and cross over Hwy 6, then turn left at the second traffic light, heading south on the feeder road.
- Get onto Hwy 6 south (OR you can stay on the feeder road and skip to #5)
- Take the very next exit which is University Dr, and go to the light
- Turn right at the light onto University Dr., heading west.
- Stay on University Dr. for a few miles. (You will pass the Hilton on your right, then you will go through a major intersection of Texas Ave. & University Dr., then you will see the main campus of A&M on your left.)
- You will come to an overpass (which is both a RR and Wellborn Rd.)
- Immediately after you go under the overpass, you will come to a traffic light, and you will see Olson Blvd. to your left, and Agronomy Rd. on your right.
- Turn right onto Agronomy Rd. (heading north) and go past our old bldg., and go all the way down to the 4-way stop at the intersection of Agronomy & F&B Rd. Turn left at the 4-way stop and then right into PA 124.
Thursday, January 11, 2018
7:00-9:00a Registration Open (pastries, fruit, coffee & juice provided) (TCC)
8:00 am-noon ACE Training (cont’d from previous day) and testing- Bob Davis & (Room 108) Mike Merchant
8:00-9:00a Panel of Experts- Wizzie Brown, moderator (Gen. other) (Main Room)
9:00-10:00a Scale Insect Pests: Biology & Mgmt.-Carlos Bogran (L&O) (Main Room). (also counts an AG Gen. IPM ceu)
9:00a-4:00p Insect Identification Workshop – The Ultimate Challenge
(Room 106) – Entomology Graduate Students (Pest)
10:00-10:35a Exhibitor Forum (Puckett)
10:35-10:45a Break in Exhibitor area (beverages provided)
Pick Your Time and Topic!
- Biting Flies and an IPM Approach to Controlling Them– Phillip Shults (Pest) (Main Room)
- Avoiding Administrative Penalties or Warnings: What Every Pest Control Business Needs to Know About Their Company and Employees Janet Hurley-(Gen. L&R) (Middle Room) (also counts an AG Gen. Laws & Regs ceu)
- Structural Fumigation Today –Alan Brown (SF) (Room 102)
11:45a-1:00p Lunch- Beef & Chicken Fajitas (Texas Country Catering)
- Computer Security, Customer Security, Ransomware: Who tested the Backups? Michael Ferree (Gen. Other)
- Fertilizer Impacts on Pest Mgmt-Carlos Bogran (L&O)
(Middle Room) (also counts an AG Gen. IPM ceu)
- Termite Control Using Physical Barriers – Cassie Krejci (Termite)
2:00-2:15p Transfer break time
- The Importance of Bed Bug Management- Mike Merchant (Pest)
- Weed Management for Schools – Mark Matocha (Weed)
(Room 102) (also counts an AG Gen. Pest Features ceu)
- Research Vignettes: (A) Colony interactions in subterranean termites in Texas and (B) Diseases of Reticulitermes flavipes: Investigations Into the More Effective Use of Termite Pathogens (Janowiecki & Aguero) (Termite)
3:15-3:30p – Break & transfer in Exhibitor area (beverages provided)
- 1. Identification and Management of Bees and Wasps in Landscapes– Molly Keck (Pest)
- Spider Identification, Biology and Control: An Integrated Approach–Bob Davis (Gen. IPM)
- 3. Commodity Fumigation –David Saunders (CF)
Friday, January 12, 2018 from 8:00am-12:00n
Hands on training and demonstrations. Pick one:
- 1. Intro to Mosquito Management Short Course: at Riverside Chapel. Led by Mike Merchant (1 Gen. IPM, 1 Gen. Safety, & 2 Pest) (LIMIT first 30 people). (also counts as AG ceu’s for 2 Gen. Pest Features, 1 Gen. Pesticide Factors, and 1 IPM)
- Termite Biology & Control: at Riverside campus at the IMS bldg. Led by Robert Puckett. (1 Gen IPM, 1 Gen. Laws & Regs, & 2 Termite) (LIMIT first 30 people).
- Fumigation Short Course: at the Rollins Urban Facility. Led by David Saunders, Ed Vargo (4-hr fumigation short course). (LIMIT first 30 people)